Trail Building and Maintenance Opportunities
- During the summer there will be numerous opportunities for trail building and trail maintenance throughout Spooner State Park. This summer we had a successful campout weekend and two additional trail days to finish the Sunflower Hill Trail in August! It is now signed and open. Check it out and enjoy!
- Trails are typically open from June to October for hiking and mountain biking. Contact Flume Trail Mountain Bikes for rental rates and shuttle availability. The trails are open for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing around December to March, but be sure to obtain a pass from Spooner Lake Cross Country Ski Area before you head out. It's always best to call Spooner Lake State Park for current summer conditions before heading out. They can be reached at 775-831-0494, or for a live webcam from Tunnel Creek, click here.
2012 Patrol Events
- The Great Tahoe Flume Race will happen again this year on Sunday, September 9th. Mountain bikers from all over the west will challenge themselves to the high altitude course and beautiful trails in the park. This successful event is one of the primary fundraisers for the patrol program.
- The Tahoe Rim Trail 50k, 50m, and 100m Endurance Runs is sponsored by the Tahoe Mountain Milers and utilizes a portion of the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Parks trail system. Set for July 21-22, 2012, the Backcountry Patrol offers 24-hour assistance, within the boundaries of our patrol area, during the event to ensure the safety of the participants.
- The XTERRA Lake Tahoe Triathlon is set for August 25, 2012. The Backcountry Patrol will also provide support for this event.
- Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day! Nevada State Parks in cooperation with the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park Backcounrty Patrol, the Reno Wheelmen, and the Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association (TAMBA) will host young riders, ages 6 to 16, for a youth mountain biking event. The ride is part of a nationwide celebration known as Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day, supported by the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA). The event occurs on Saturday, October 6 at the Spooner Lake entrance of Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park. Participants must bring a bike and helmet and a parent or guardian to sign the participation form. Parents and friends are welcome and encouraged to ride, too. There is no fee for the event, however there is an entrance fee to access the state park.